Recon

Monday, February 20, 2012

Carnal Linguistic Love Affair

My relationship with the English language is fundamentally Nabokovian.

No, nothing that involves Pedobear-the language predates me by some time. If anything, this is a Mrs. Robinson affair.

Nabokov was well known to simply love the English language and the flowery expressions that were possible within it's boundaries. The bastard could go on and on for days describing a rusty light pole or a flock of butterflies touching down on a wilted peony in a cracked flowerpot. Everyone (read: no one) has read Lolita, which is an OK example, but give Pale Fire a try and you'll really see it. Thusly:

All my stories are webs of style and none seems at first blush to contain much kinetic matter. For me style is matter.
-Vladimir Nabokov


You'll notice in this blog that I tend to ramble on the same way a lot; once I get into a sexy word groove it becomes difficult for me to pull out. Like ol' Vlad, I hate psychology and I love flowery phrases. Perhaps unlike Nabokov, I don't stick to courtly love; I fucking love the spoken word and that love includes choking and double penetration. To wit:

  • I don't always use proper spelling and grammar, sometimes because I am lazy or stoned and miss a mistake, and sometimes because I don't give a fuck because the language is mine and I'll use and abuse it as I see fit.
  • I make it a point to use every derogatory slur towards every race, gender, ethnicity, religion and identity. All of 'em. The words are there, I didn't make 'em up, and I will by God use them-because the language is mine, and I'll use it and abuse it as I see fit.
  • I use the slang of every deviant subculture, even those that are not my own, sometimes to illustrate my point and sometimes just because I think it's funny-because the language is mine, and I'll use it and abuse it as I see fit.
  • And sometimes I just go on and on and lose my point. If you've ever wondered if me going "Wait, what was I talking about again?" is a cheeky self deprecating affectation, you are sorely mistaken-that is simply the machine gun cadence of my thoughts and sometimes I have a dead primer in there somewhere. Tap, rack, bang, motherfuckers-the language is mine and I'll use it and abuse it as I see fit.

The relationship is an all consuming worship and adoration with a predatory aftertaste. I can't help it, nor would I if I could-I love the language and I love to hold the language down and fuck it in the ass while it pounds on the window crying for a policeman. Okay, maybe a little pedobear, goddamn it.

Yet here we are, aren't we? Somehow you keep reading my shit. And I thank you for that-but know this; there will be literary abortions up in this piece, drivel that follows no accepted format or style and may only make sense to one person. If you fit in the Grammar Nazi camp, you will be driven to apoplexy-but you were warned. Beyond that I say only this, in the words of the acknowledged master of the art of flowery nonsense.

There is only one school of literature - that of talent.
-Vladimir Nabokov

4 comments:

  1. You never did answer. Who are you...Aristotle?

    Next you'll be telling us that what you say is more important than how you say it. You'll never get tenure with that approach.

    "For me style is matter." I don't buy that for a second. Diversionary tactic, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am quite proficient in Academic doublespeak, but here on the blog I have the luxury of abandoning even the pretense of a point. So fuck tenure.

    In short, the freedom to wax eloquent about lesbian fairies and which fictional rodent would win in a fight is my favorite part of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your lyrical flow reminds me my favorite songs, jezebel by acid bath.the corus goes like this.

    broken glass and dirty needled
    soul erosion truth
    electric god, or superman
    found dead in a telephone booth
    shards of teeth
    ice pick abortions
    orgasmic death, so warm
    let's die screamin', black goat semen
    i can't hear you whisper "conform"

    harts will stop and brain cells pop
    apocalyptic high
    she screams bloody murder as they chop off her fingers
    so this is how it feels to die
    but it's OK
    yeah everything' OK

    bravo sir

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am quite proficient in Academic doublespeak, but here on the blog I have the luxury of abandoning even the pretense of a point. So fuck tenure."

    You slay me. Good point.

    ReplyDelete